A good commit message
There will be commit messages. Many. Of. Them.
Your team will read them. Your boss will read them. Strangers will read them. You will read them.
Future self is skeptical of present self.
You owe it to everyone to try and write better commit messages.
I'm not suggesting that I always do, it's a lofty goal, but here is some help:
- Separate subject from body with a blank line
- Limit the subject line to 50 characters
- Capitalize the subject line
- Do not end the subject line with a period
- Use the imperative mood in the subject line li>
- Wrap the body at 72 characters
- Use the body to explain what and why vs. how
Please do read the whole post though.